Salted Egg Cheesy Prawns 咸蛋奶油虾
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
650 grams big prawns (deveined)
4 salted egg yolks
20 curry leaves
2 cloves of bird's eye chilli
1 can of evaporated milk
Cheddar cheese (grated)
Frying the prawns
1. On a plate, coat the prawns evenly with the starch. Set it aside and allow it to rest for a couple of minutes.
TIPS: Coating the prawns with starch will reduce the splatting of oil during frying. It also gives a crispy texture to the prawns. The coating helps to soak up the gravy too.
2. Deep fry the prawns on high heat (180-degree Celcius) for 2-3 minutes.
TIPS: Remove the prawn's eye because it has high water content and would cause splatting of oil. The larger the prawn is, the deeper you should cut though the prawn to shorten the cooking process.
3. Prepare some oil-absorbing paper a plate. Remove the prawns and place them on the paper.
Cooking the gravy
4. Pour some oil into a cold wok and raise the heat. Add the butter, curry leaves, garlic and bird's eye chili.
5. Gradually lower the fire while stirring the mixture continuously.
6. Add the mashed salted egg yolks. On medium-high heat, stir again.
7. Add the evaporated milk.
8. Sprinkle some salt and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Continue stirring until the mixture boils. Then let it simmer for a while.
9. Thicken the gravy by adding grated Cheddar cheese. Stir well. Add another 1 tablespoon of sugar.
10. Finally, add the prawns into the mixture and stir until all prawns are coated with the cheesy salted egg sauce.