Ikan/Udang Bakar Grilled Fish/Prawns using Wok 住家式烤鱼虾
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
Fish (cleaned, cut a few slits on the body)
1 piece galangal
1 piece ginger
1 piece turmeric
2 fresh chillies
Few cloves of garlic
Dry roast belacan (fermented shrimp paste)
Fresh coriander (optional)
2 tablespoons palm sugar/brown sugar
2 banana leaves
Preparing the sambal
1. Using a blender, blend dried chillies, galangal, ginger, turmeric, fresh chillies, garlic, red onion, dry roasted belacan, coriander, tamarind juice and brown sugar into a fine paste.
2. Heat up some oil in a pot and slowly fry the blended paste.
3. Sprinkle some salt and sugar to taste.
Grilling the fish
4. Heat some oil in a wok. Put in the banana leaves.
5. Apply some sambal on the surface of the fish and on a banana leaf. Now place the fish which is on a banana leaf in the wok. Cover the wok with the lid.
6. Let the fish cook for 4-5 minutes for one side before flipping to the other side.
TIPS: Transfer the fish to a new banana leaf when you want to flip it over to the other side. Repeat step 5.
Grilling the prawns
7. Apply the same steps 4-5 by replacing the fish with prawns and cook for 3-4 minutes.
TIPS: Add some fish sauce before closing the lid.
8. Transfer to another banana leaf, add oil, a little bit of soy sauce and cook the other side of prawns for another 3-4 minutes.
9. Serve it.