CNY Recipe | Simple Homemade Fishmaw Soup | 简易鱼鳔汤
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
Fish maw (soaked in hot water and cut into thin slices)
750 grams (half a kampong/free-range chicken)
Shiitake mushrooms (soaked in water for an hour, cut into thin slices)
Wood ear fungus (optional)
Shao Xing wine (optional)
Few pieces of ginger
Salt and sugar
Starch water (1-3 teaspoons of starch water and 5 parts of water)
1. Submerge the chicken into a pot of cold water. Slowly raise the fire until boiling for 1-2 minutes. Add ginger slices and Shao Xing wine. Remove the chicken after the 2 minutes is up. Wash it thoroughly under running water.
Preparing chicken shreds
2. Put the chicken into the pressure cooker bowl with few slices of ginger and green onion. Fill the pot with enough water to keep the chicken fully submerged. Cook using the pressure cooker for 20 minutes (40 kilopascals pressure).
3. Remove the chicken and let it cool in room temperature water. Once cooled, shred the chicken.
Cooking the fish maw soup
4. Pour oil into a cold wok and raise the heat to high. Saute chopped garlic, a few pieces of ginger together with the carrots and mushrooms.
6. Add in chicken stock. Bring it to boil and wait for 10 minutes before adding shredded chicken, fish maw, spring onions. Stir well.
7. Let everything boil for 3-4 minutes before seasoning with 1 teaspoon of salt, salt, fish sauce and Shao Xing wine.
8. Turn off the fire and pour the starch water into the soup. Add beaten egg after the starch solution to achieve a smooth, swirling egg effect. Finish with a few dashes of white pepper.
10. Serve it with black vinegar.